1.06.2013

Beliefs

I was reading this article that chastised the millenial generation for being too ironic. The author noted that so much of what my generation did was indifferently self deprecating so as to avoid the conflict of true beliefs and ideals. Instead, we purposefully dress nostalgically or strangely (or hipster), we disclaim our scruples with a backbone-less agnosticism, and we politely avoid meaningful interaction by filling our conversations with pop culture references and sarcasm.

Each point was interesting, and I think the author is very much on the right track. However, I feel that the real ailment of our western culture is that it just isn't accepted to believe in anything anymore. Tolerance has become paramount, and this isn't necessarily wrong at all by itself, but somehow tolerance has become mutually exclusive with personal belief as though the two are mortal enemies. It isn't really cool anymore to really stick up for something, especially if everyone else has to hear about it. Don't offend anyone, stay nice and tolerant.

Last Friday I was invited to see a film with some friends of mine. The movie happened to be an extremely stylized action flick about a slave-turned-bounty-hunter in the late 1800's. I assumed the rather unpopular position of actually not wanting to see the film due to its explicit content, but I searched for some reason I could get out of it... Perhaps some other friends could make some more tame plans so I could dodge the movie.

I realized then that my supposed "intolerance", along with other demonstrations of personal conviction, are extrapolated into a disdainful condemning somehow... But I'm not condemning anything. You can do what you want; I don't care. But the problem remains that if people actually stand up for things they are labeled bigoted and intolerant.

I used to be wary of people who believe in things, and I still am a little bit. It's pretty uncomfortable to see other people who are passionate about things if you haven't decided what you think, or at least it was for me. It was kind of annoying to have to deal with those people, you know? To decide what you are going to do and think. I think us millenials are raised to just do what we want.

Really recently I realized again why so much of Christianity deals with love. The people who don't have love and believe in things give off that aura drenched of... dare I say it, intolerance. They are fingernails on chalkboards.

But the people who do have love and passion at the same time are immense in character and spirit. That's the difference. I guess a lot of people don't have love anymore, and that's why all us young adults would rather you just shut up and let everyone do their own thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment