8.11.2011

Old Navy

I think the mall is a pretty funny place. I feel like when I'm in the mall I'm in this primordial game of sex appeal, and everyone is trying to look as attractive as possible for each other. Perhaps the the lean, tan adolescents will spontaneously mate with each other outside Abercrombie.This is especially true in those upscale malls where people pay lots of money for clothes that have holes in them.

I get tired of this game after about ten seconds. Instead, I like to sit down and people watch.

I went to Starbucks and ordered a decaf solo misto. The barista was upset that she had to put on decaf. And you know what? That's the difference between a good barista and a crummy one. The good ones are interested in your drink. They are fascinated that you would order such a drink, and they will take certain pleasure in making it for you. This one was annoyed she had to make decaf. Lame.

Then I went about my business that was people watching. For some reason, observing all these people made me think about the time in Nashville when I went to this concert at Cafe Coco and the singer in the opening act could not have been older than nineteen years old. He wore one of those Old Navy t-shirts with the swoosh-looking underline and Rebok tennis shoes. My ex girlfriend and her friend were making fun of him. I suppose its alright that we broke up, because I had immediately thought of the kid as my hero for wearing an Old Navy t-shirt onstage.

I'm not sure why I liked him for that reason, to be honest. I'm not at all fashionable; my wardrobe consists of clothing from Target and Old Navy and WorldSoccerShop. Perhaps it is because in our primordial game of find the suitable mate he was obviously not a threat to my vastly superior masculinity. Or maybe it was because I could relate. But I really didn't think about making fun of the kid.

To be certain, as I sipped on my misto, I am always in awe that God forgives everyone the same. This is one of those things that I am very thankful for. Because I am not a genius, nor an athlete, and I'm more likely to wear Old Navy than Urban Outfitters.


No comments:

Post a Comment