6.18.2011

Band Aids

I'm apologizing in advance for this rant.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

This verse makes me sick. It really does. Sorry (and I really am sorry if you like this verse. You can. It doesn't hurt my feelings).

It makes me vomit because of how people use it like some theological band-aid for very real, human problems.

So you are sick and dying and you haven't got a job and everything you want is out of reach. Let me help you with that: God knows his plans for you. Thanks.

I would probably punch someone in the face if I was really struggling and someone tried to apply this remedy to a loss I have had.

I have to believe that my faith is applicable and relevant. I've wasted too much time to believe otherwise. And I also believe that throwing this verse on the fire of sin and suffering is like offering candy to a starving man when you have milk and bread in your backpack. You might kill him, because he might hope for all the wrong things.

Because a lot of people place the word "prosper" squarely in their terms and forget that God's view of the word may only mean eventual salvation. Should he bless me while I am here, praise him. If not, may I be as faithful as Paul to admit that grace is sufficient.

Sometimes, Lazarus is meant to die, and that was still God's plan even if you were not on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment