5.23.2011

Typical

I try not to be a person that holds on to stereotypes. Despite my best attempts, I have found that I have a few of them.

I have decided that South Africans are singularly attractive. This is because of a grand total of two South Africans that I have seen. Based on this (certainly exhaustive) heuristic evidence, all of them must be attractive. They must be tall, slender, pale, with exceptionally dark hair and proud, defining faces. I suppose it would take a multitude of unremarkable South Africans to undo this stereotype.

Furthermore, I have decided that Death Cab for Cutie makes everyone sad. I have arrived at this conclusion because they make me sad; ergo, they make everyone sad. Touche.

I hope the reader has caught my sarcastic tone. There are any number of huge flaws with my preconceptions. Stereotypes are largely unfounded, but proven at least somewhat. It is, of course, narrow-minded to believe that one individual's experiences can be universally applied. However, at least for me, they seem to naturally seep into my subconscious and render the world through strange lenses which subtly change my perceptions.

It also blows my mind that God cannot be guilty of having stereotypes. I assume this because I also assume his omniscience is a given, therefore rendering any notions he has of an individual not a stereotype but a truth.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I was God, at some point it would become a given that
  • the Israelites are dumb and don't know what they want
  • Moses is a wimp
  • Peter talks too much and doesn't do enough
  • Humans are just generally inept at everything
I'm pretty sure I would have a whole big list of things that would say "At Risk:" and then have a ton of people under, and then another that was like "Don't even allow any responsibility:" with more people under that. And it wouldn't be just Bible-time stuff, it would be for people right now, and myself. The Smith's can't be trusted to share their faith with others, the Johnson's family will inevitably split and set bad examples for their kids, and the Davis' are okay but they represent the definition of lukewarm. I would have some adjectives for myself.

God doesn't work like that, though.

It is very hard for me to grasp that through righteousness by faith, God does not count sins against man (Rom 4, 2nd Cor 5:19). To God, I have no stereotype that proceeds in front of me. My sins go uncounted as I try to let my faith and actions work together.

It is amazing that my history does not haunt me, that mercy triumphs over judgement, and that God does not count on me to conform to my past failures.

There is so much hope in that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment